9.12.2006

Friday Night: Date Night.

Friday night Brian & I had a real, honest-to-God date for the first time since - well, it's been a while. Our last effort at dinner out was thwarted, and it's hard to save up enough for both the entertainment and the sitter. Seems pointless to pay someone to sit in our house while we sit in our car, doesn't it?

(Actually, that idea is sounding a bit better every time I think of it.)

I had scored some tickets to a good show at the comedy club, and I had been looking forward to the event all week. So this time, the babysitter showed up, and after a flurry of instructions and kisses, we left for the car. You may recall me writing about the neighbors before. They were on the front lawn with the previously mentioned FOUR children, who were riding bicycles or curing cancer or something. I wasn't paying much attention, but I did give them a little wave.

Immediately, and I do mean PRONTO, the neighbors noticed we did not have Helen with us. They shouted, "Are you going on a DATE?" When I nodded excitedly, they yelled back, "Woo hoo!!"

Parents of small children do get that excited for each other. Really. Adult time spent in a room full of other adults, knowing that Helen is in the perfectly capable hands of a wonderful sitter that she adores - it all creates a certain joy that allows you to relax and try to think of something else to talk about besides the baby. You experience it on so few occasions when the baby is this young, that you can genuinely enjoy it when someone else gets that precious date time.

The best part was yet to come, though. Helen slept until SEVEN O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING.

Let's see, how many times has that happened this year? Um, let's see, total it up, carry the one, yep - NEVER. Last month, I actually considered getting her a paper route.

Helen waking up 7 a.m. is like my grandparents eating dinner at 7 p.m. IT JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN. And you can bet I thanked my lucky stars and my AMAZING BABYSITTER. Gratitude beyond measure, I'm tellin' ya.

(Can you tell she reads this blog? I'm trying not to lay it on too thick here.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great babysitter she must be!!! just kidding. i had a blast and so did helen,, i would watch out though,, she was very googly-eyed towards beau!!! helen = little heartbreaker!

love you guys,,
ali

Anonymous said...

Slept til 7:00 huh? My bet is that the baby sitter gave her a shot of Jack Daniels right after you left!
Really, just joking.....